Friday, April 11, 2008

Walk in the woods.

This morning there were lots of birds at the feeder! The Cardinal came by, the Chickadee, 3 Starlings and of course the House Finches and House Sparrows. I now have 6 Redpolls that come by regularyly. The Junco came by for a bit and the Song Sparrow too. A few Canada Geese flew by...it will soon become a very busy sky with the Geese flying one way every morning and filling up the sky as they come back in the evening. I wonder why they do that...

I decided to go for a walk in the woods to see if I could find more birds. On my way I passed lots of Mourning Doves, a few Chickadees and lots of Grackles. There was what sounded like a crow over in the distance.

Once in the woods there was still a LOT of snow, making it hard to walk. After sinking down to my knees I turned back and found a fallen tree to sit on. I didn't see many birds as I was walking, the woods were very quiet. It smelled wonderful though! Smelled fresh, beautiful sun...a perfect spring day! As I sat quietly the birds started to sing and I hoped I could see some of them. Finally I got to see a Woodpecker but didn't have time to see what kind. A train passed and that shook things up a bit...there were birds flying around everywhere! :) Just after the battery died on my camera I saw two birds that I couldn't identify.

I ate my little picnic, listening to the sounds of the woods and then I lay down on the tree and almost fell asleep there in the woods, with the sun on my face. :) It was wonderful! When I opened my eyes and looked up at the sky I saw a huge bird circling high above me! Wow! I wished I had binoculars to see that better and try to find out what kind of bird it was!!!

I spent 2 hours in the woods by myself and then slowly walked back home. When I got home there was a flock of Redpolls in the yard!!! About 10 of them at the niger feeder (finally someone is interested in them) and about 30-40 of them in the birch tree and on the ground beneath it!!! Whoa! Where did they all come from?! There was also a new bird at the feeder on the porch. Looks like it's probably the female of one of the blackbirds...she is definately bigger than the sparrows. After looking at all the pictures online I am guessing that she is a female Cowbird.

No comments: