Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sharp-Shinned Hawk!

I knew there was a small Hawk in the area...Others have seen them and a few times I kinda saw something fly by, early in the morning. Then this morning Kelly woke me up and although I wished I could have stayed in bed a few more minutes, I got up and went to open the blinds in the kids rooms. I stayed in Jeremy's window a few minutes, sadly looking out to where the forest used to be and the new houses are popping up every week.

Then something caught my eye...From the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a Crow fly into the pine tree where the Sparrows usually hang out. I thought that was weird since Crows don't usually come so close to the house. Then I saw a Sparrow fly out and the "Crow" came out and perched on a branch of my lilac tree. That wasn't a Crow! So I ran downstairs saying, "Stay there! Stay there! Please stay there!", grabbed my camera on the kitchen counter and went to the window...it was still there!!! It stayed for a few seconds more, watching the pine, then jumped in and looked around. A Sparrow fly out and the Hawk took off after it! :0(


So, although I was very excited to finally get a picture of it, I was sad to know that it was there to hunt the birdies that I attract to my yard...

1 comment: